Exploding vape pen starts fire on Blackstone Voke bus – News … – Worcester Telegram

George Barnes Telegram & Gazette Staff @georgebarnestg

NORTHBRIDGE – Smoking is hazardous to one’s health, but students on a school bus Wednesday morning saw firsthand that the danger is more than what is breathed in.

A backpack a student had on a bus headed to Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School in Upton at 7:15 a.m. burst into flames when a battery in a vape pen exploded.

“On video footage from the bus you can see flames and sparks from floor to ceiling, shooting up from the backpack,” said Northbridge Police Officer Thomas Dejourdy.

Officer Dejourdy said that when police received a call that there was a backpack on fire on a bus, they thought it was a cellphone. When the Fire Department inspected it, they learned it was a vaping device that was stored in a female student’s backpack.

Students were forced to evacuate as the bus filled with smoke.

“It kind of hit everyone by surprise,” Officer Dejourdy said.

Valley Tech Vice Principal Matthew Urquhart said the bus, owned by Vendetti Bus Co., was traveling in Northbridge

Read More Here...

This entry was posted in Vaporizer E-Cigarette Stocks News. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.